Donna has belonged to a group called EdAccess for a number of years. It is comprised of IT directors for private schools. She suggested to them that they hold a workshop the day before their next conference where attendees could assemble a Printrbot printer and they accepted the proposal. We had 11 Printrbot Maker kits and 13 attendees. We started at 7:30am and by noon had our first working printer. By 7pm we had all printers working. The enthusiasm was contagious and everyone stuck around until the last printer was working. Here are some pictures from the workshop:
I have a u-shaped metal rod in a bike bag that go into holders and provides the bag with shape. The existing rod had soft plastic ends that had disintegrated. So I printed up new ones and put them on the ends of the rod. Here’s one end of the rod:
And I needed to stake out the back ends of our lot for fire mitigation work. I got metal stakes for it and my wife said someone could impale themselves if they were to fall on to them. So I printed ends to make the rods easier to see and make them non-punjy stick like:
Between going to New Zealand, preparing our house to sell, packing up our house, moving our belongings to our new house in Carbondale, Colorado, and unpacking and sorting our house, I haven’t had much time to 3d print or blog. However after unpacking I discovered a high priority for 3d printing, a broken brake release. Here is a picture of a good brake release mechanism on the rear of the bike:
It is the red piece in the middle of the picture. It allows the cable to be disconnected from one of the brake arms so that the brake pads can be further separated and the tire removed from the frame. Somehow the movers managed to mangle this part and make the front brake completely inoperable. After fruitlessly searching for this part for brakes that are over 15 years old and no longer made and seeing that I was looking at $100 or more to replace the brake completely, I thought “Gee, I bet I can make one of these!”. So out came the calipers so I could measure the good remaining brake part, finally producing this using ABS plastic:
This is just about the limit of accuracy of the 3d printer but it was good enough to create a part that actually works. Here it is installed:
It has been working now for two months with no problems. I printed a spare that I carry on the bike just in case.