Printrbot in their continuing demonstration of support for legacy users, released an upgrade from the Simple I built at Xmas to their latest version, the “Maker Edition” Simple. It has belts and cogs instead of fishing line and sanding drums, an aluminum bed (which I already had), a bigger y-axis motor, the new aluminum extruder parts, and most importantly the self bed leveling probe. Here is what the Simple looks like after the upgrades:
Notice the fan on top of the extruder motor. It’s a modification I added after reading several posts that the heat of the motor transmitted to the filament through the new all metal extruder parts frequently causes the filament to buckle and the print job to fail. So the fan is an attempt to keep the motor cooler. I’ll let you know my results later.
I’m still tweaking the bed leveling probe but it does work as advertised, reducing print setup time significantly and improving the first layer adhesion by making the layer more uniform in thickness, always critical to getting a good print.
The printrboard is now underneath the printer so I no longer need the cage I designed and printed for the board when I flipped the board to face outwards. Oh well, it was still good design and printing experience.